04 March 2009

It's about building relationships

Hello all!  It's been a fast three days.  I can't believe it's almost Thursday (my favorite day of the week).  I blinked and everything disappeared!  Wow!  If that's how school goes all of the time, I'm in for a roller coaster ride.

These past three days have been really good.  I started teaching my third period class.  So now I have second and third period for U.S. History.  They're great.  Each class has a life of its own and I love that.  Third period seemed a lot less vocal than second period at first, but I quickly found out that they love to voice their opinions and are not afraid to share them - on anything.  We had a nice discussion about immigration today in class as we were discussing the immigration laws set in place in the 1920s and how immigration affects us today.  There was also scattered in there views on nativism and racism then and now.  It was great hearing what they all had to say.

I've been working with second period on their map of the 50 states.  I handed them a packet with the states and the capitals on it on Tuesday and told them they needed to study it for the test.  I went over the states with them today and they were right on with their states for the most part.  I could tell they studied and that made me so proud of them.  And I told them that.  I try really hard to reinforce when I notice their work ethic, and I try really hard to praise them when they get something correct.  That's part of having a positive classroom atmosphere - a safe place they know they can learn in.  That's what I want for my classroom all the time.  

Along with having a safe classroom, building relationships is key.  I personally believe that it is so very important that the student know that the teacher is there for them, first and foremost as their educator, but also someone they can approach with questions, issues, etc.  It's hard trying to form relationships with students sometimes.  It will NOT happen automatically - these things take time.  There were some students that I clicked with right away when I got to the school.  They were talkative and loved having a new person around.  Then there were others who were skeptical - and you can tell those students who look at teachers and automatically don't trust them.  You have to give them a reason to.  Demanding trust does not cut it - you both have to earn it.

There is a student that I see every day.  When I first saw him, I saw a shy kid, quiet, who keeps to himself.  I was one of those kids in middle school and high school, so I knew how to relate.  He's such a sweet kid!  The day I had to substitute, I learned his name and tried very hard to include him in the class.  What did I do?  One of the other students in the class wanted to know the definition of a word and they asked me.  I could have told them, but I sent them to the source - the dictionary.  Not the one online, the actual book dictionary.  I pointed at the quiet student and asked him if he would mind looking up the word.  He obliged, found the definition, and put the book away.  Then another word was asked.  He automatically got out of his seat, picked up the dictionary, and looked up the word and then another - with enthusiasm.  Then we designated him as the official definition-finder for the class.  He had a huge smile on his face.  (I think I'm going to try and find a new word every day for that class, have him look it up, and see if I can't use it in the lesson somewhere)  Everyday after that, I have made a conscious effort to pick him out and say something to him.  I see him everyday after lunch because he comes to collect his books from Mr. M's room.  Every time he is making his way out of the door, I tell him goodbye with a smile.  Most of the time he glances at me, mumbles goodbye, and walks out of the door.  But today, he looked right at me, smiled the biggest I had seen him yet, and said goodbye to me before I could say anything to him.

I think I may be getting somewhere.

I don't expect this to happen with all of my students, but having someone throughout the day that you can count on to brighten it just a little is all some of these kids need.  They come from broken homes, with broken families shrouded in grief and depression.  School is the place they can get away from those things for a while, so why not put a glimmer of hope, a ray of sunshine into kids lives to let them know you care?

It always impressed me when a teacher would call me by my name (with a smile) and tell me to enjoy the rest of my day, or have a great weekend.  I always wanted to work harder for that teacher because I wanted to make them proud.  I also didn't want to see them disappointed in me, because that shatters a kid's world like nothing else can.  

It's about building relationships - positive ones.  That's what my aim is for the short time I am a part of this school, and a part of any school in the future.

------
I give my first test on Friday.  Right now, the taking time is about an hour.  I have to cut that down to 45 minutes (taking into consideration the student with learning disabilities), else they won't get finished.  I will be talking to my cooperating teacher about that tomorrow.  But they get to write for me!  Yay!  Every student's dream!  Or not....

But they need to get better.

They can get better - I know they can.

I impressed upon them the importance of knowing how to be grammatically correct, as well as learning how to spell things correctly.  They looked at me like I was an alien from the third planet, grumbled, but I emphasized that it was only to help them because I want them to be able to succeed in later life.  If they can't write what they know, they don't know it.  I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is.

Today, I was observed for the first time by the university.  I was a little nervous at first, but the supervisor really liked my lesson and had no constructive criticism.  I'm not sure if that's really that good, but I took it in stride.  I would hope that I'm not at the peak of performance just yet.  I'm only beginning.

The rest of the week looks good.  Review or notes tomorrow.  Test or more notes and a map review on Friday.  Then the weekend.  Ah!  The smell of sleeping late!  How I miss thee!

But I picked the wrong major for sleeping in.  

I picked the right one for my passion.

I hope to write back and tell you how my test goes.  Let's hope I don't bomb the entire thing.  Have a wonderful rest of the week!

Another smile to brighten a day,
Aimee

1 comment:

  1. Aimee, you are going to make such a great teacher! It's so cool to hear about the awesome impact you're making!

    In Him...

    ReplyDelete