23 April 2009

It's not much...

Remember that time I said I was not very good at keeping up with blogs?  Well, here is another prefect example.  But not because I didn't want to.  Because I literally have not had the time.  Here's how life has been going:
Get up at 6:00 a.m.
Get to school by 7:40 a.m.
At school until 3:35
Drive back to campus 20 minutes away
Check email
Lesson plan until bed
Go to bed between midnight and 1:00 a.m.
Do it all over again the next day.

Sounds like an exciting semester doesn't it?!

Oh yeah, real tiring.  Not that I'm complaining.  I do love student teaching.  I just wish I could figure out a way to get everything done and get to bed by 10:30.

Unfortunately, I have not found anything.  So I will have to make do with what I have for now.

Overall, since my last post, things have been going very well.  I have all 6 classes now and am enjoying some more than others, as can be expected.  But I love them all in different ways.  I have figured out what I can do with one class that I cannot do with another class.  It's all a learning process but I am loving it.

I still have students telling me all the time that they love my class.  If only they would tell me what I'm doing differently than their other teachers...

Teachers always get warm fuzzy feelings when students tell them they love their class.  But when a student... no, I take that back - TWO students - tell me they're writing an essay about their favorite teacher and that the essay is about me, it kind of makes one stop and think a little as to what the students see in you and appreciate that you're doing to make them think that.  It's a wonderful thing to know that students who previously had no interest in my subject now come to class willing and excited to learn.  They walk through the door smiling and laughing and greet me in happy and eager tones.  I love knowing that they really are getting something out of this course.  They are asking questions, finding answers, and digging deep - and so am I.  I am thinking things and am faced with questions that had never occurred to me before.  I personally am learning so much more than how to be a better teacher - I'm learning how to be a better student as well.  

To be honest, I never asked the questions in high school that would enable me to dig deeper.  I was always the student that was satisfied with just learning the facts and not wondering why, how, where, etc.  But now that I'm teaching, I'm asking these questions all the time allowing me to dig deeper and giving me the ability to guide the students to a deeper meaning.  Yay for teaching!!!

Unfortunately, I cannot learn everything, therefore I cannot answer all questions that are posed to me.  But I try to remember and write down questions to answer later on (when I get the time to look everything up of course).  I am trying so very hard to be the best teacher I can be.  

I've asked the students for feedback of my teaching and, for the most part, they all think I'm doing a great job.  Some do have a few suggestions and I have tried my best to implement those suggestions into the latter part of my time at the school.  Since my time there is short, I cannot implement everything into the rest of the semester.  I only have about two weeks left - if that.  There simply isn't time.

I have done a project with my Geography class.  I absolutely love that class.  The students are willing to talk, ask questions, and wonder about another part of the world.  It's great!  I am loving teaching geography and really hope I can teach it in the future.  There are so many fun possibilities with that subject that it's unreal.  I enjoy teaching history as well :-)  Sometimes, it depends on the class... or the day and whether or not I've had enough sleep.

I find I wake up right after 2nd period, so my 3rd period through lunch or so are my best classes of the day.  I can get excited about the subject which gets the kids excited which helps them ask questions and answer questions and be more willing to participate.  I still have students who would rather not be a part of the class, but a teacher can't expect EVERY student ALL the time to participate... can they?  Can someone answer that?  Please?

And thank you :-)

Tomorrow is my Seminar class, as well as next Friday.  Then I graduate on May 9...  

Wow.  Everything is coming to a close so soon!  I can't believe it's all so close!  But I have SOOO much to do before next Friday, which is when my portfolio is due.  Oh dear.  

Literally, a mountain of paperwork to do - most by Monday.  I suppose I should get started...

After I go to bed and sleep, of course :-)

So far, I love my "job".  I don't get paid for it, but I don't really care.  I love it.  

I love the feeling of knowing that I chose the right profession.  I have had so many people in my life, mostly teachers, that have inspired me to be what I am today.  At least, what I am still striving to be, cause I haven't gotten my degree or license yet.  But soon-ish.  Just ish.

Hopefully, I will have a more informative post the next time.  Nothing really has happened in the past two weeks that's really noteworthy - at least nothing that I can remember.

I love you guys!

Keep it real

Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment