01 May 2010

The End of the Road...Almost

Well, it's snuck up on all of us but the end of the school year is almost upon us. I can't believe how fast it has gone by!! In just about 2 weeks, the seniors (of which my little brother is one) will graduate and go their respective ways to college or jobs or who knows what else. They can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm not sure all of the teachers are ready to see them go. I know I'm not, but time must go on and they all must grow up at some point.

Hard to believe that exactly a year ago, I was student teaching. That seems like ages ago, but also like yesterday. A year has gone by so fast! I have definitely learned a great deal since then, probably more than I realize. I know that my decision to stay at home and substitute was the best one because it (a) helped me grow as a teacher in different circumstances and environments and learn how to cope and adjust at a moment's notice, (b) helped me get ideas about how to make my future classroom friendly, educational, and interesting without being overly distracting, (c) helped me see what sort of environments I DON'T want to be a part of and those I DO. I really feel like I have grown more substituting than I did student teaching in some aspects. During student teaching, I learned how to manage my time around planning and a social life as well as form lessons to reach a variety of learning styles. During substituting, I have managed some classroom management skills (most of which require the class to EARN privileges) that I really have a concept of while student teaching. I have also learned while subbing that HOW a teacher runs his or her classroom while they are there speaks a lot about how they will act in their teacher's absence. If the teacher is too lax, the substitute cannot gain sufficient control in their absence. On the other hand, teachers who have excellent control of their classroom tend to have better behaved classes in their absence. Of course, it depends on the age group and maturity level of the students. And boy have I had some doozies this year :-) I choose to look at all challenging classrooms as an opportunity to enhance my management skills. If something doesn't work for one class, I try something different with the next one. If it works, I keep doing it. I can only get better in management - and, again, it's different for every age group. I love the challenge some days - others I just wish they would get over themselves and behave. I knew going into subbing that students would not respect me as much as their teacher, so I braced myself early on for misbehavior. It's actually helped quite a bit as I expect some things to happen and am not too torn up about it if I have to get on to a student for their behavior. Again, it's a learning experience every day.

As much as I wanted a classroom of my very own this past year, I look back and realize I wasn't ready for one. I had to mature a little in the education arena before tackling my own classes. Whether or not I have matured enough is another story, but I have definitely grown and feel more confident about taking on my own group of students - wherever I get a job.

Let me just pause and say:
Thank you to the schools who have given me an opportunity to grow and train myself more in the education arena. It has helped more than I could have possibly imagined. Thank you for all of the feedback you have given me throughout the year. Thank you for still calling on me when things go wrong on occasion (and I'm referring to the last post...). Thank you to the teachers who have trusted me with their kids - some for more than a day. I have grown to love each grade in their own ways. And finally, thank you to the students who have had to put up with me all year! Thank you for your patience when I seemed lost and confused. Thank you for the laughs and the smiles. Thank you for being flexible with a stranger in front of you. I love each and every one of you and I have loved getting to know some of you.

Moving on :-)

I have absolutely loved subbing because of the lessons I have learned throughout the year. In some ways, I'll miss the unpredictability of it all and the chance to have different students every day. But honestly, I feel like I am ready to finally tackle the classroom on my own, bring out all of those awkward quirks of my teaching style, and get students excited and interested in what I love. I will never forget what I have learned this past year.

Thank you all for helping to prepare me for the road ahead. It has been such a blessing.

In Him,
Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment