17 May 2010

Where Credit is Due

For many schools across the country, tonight was graduation. The night a high school student began stepping out in the real world.

My little brother graduated tonight. I can hardly believe it's already been 18 years - that he's going off to college in the fall and that he's starting his own life. I feel like I've missed out on so much because I went to college during some of the most pivotal years in his life. I left when he was just a munchkin and now he's all grown up. Hard to believe the only time I cried tonight was when the salutatorian gave his speech (I'm such a sap...), but alas, it is finished. 16 years of school, a lot of hard work, money, tears, joys, and memories are represented with one piece of paper. They turn their rings, move their tassels, have their 10 seconds of fame and it's all over. Just like that.

And I sit there and wonder the sorts of memories each graduate has made. The relationships that have peaked and waned. The fact that tonight is the last night they will ever see each other all together for the rest of their lives.

I remember when I graduated the speaker said, "You don't know what's going to happen to each of you in the next 10 years. More than likely, most of you will never speak to each other again (that was before Facebook). Classmates might pass away. Most of you will move cross country, or across the world. Look around you. Tonight is the last night you will ever see everyone in your class again. There are no guarantees everyone will make it for the 10 year reunion for many reasons. But whatever life may bring, good or bad, you will always belong to THIS class. That relationship will never change."

Funny, I don't remember who spoke at my graduation but I remember the message. Every time another graduation rolls around I think of those words and of how they relate to every class that crosses the stage. That time is precious.

Ah well. It's over for another year. There are at least 98 new alumni and alumnae in this city who are ready to tackle the world.

It's yours for the taking, graduates! May you do many wonderful things in the years to come.

Congratulations, Class of 2010!

***********************************************************************************************

On another note:

I went to the hospital on Friday to see J and get an update on her condition.

I am happy to announce that she is doing better! I didn't get to talk to her, unfortunately, because by the time I got to see her, she was so hopped up on meds that she was asleep. I don't blame her, though. Sleep is good for the soul. And for getting over injuries.

I talked to her mother to see if she could shed any light on the situation at hand and where things might progress from there. While I don't have any definitive information (because there really isn't any), they do expect her to make a hopeful full recovery. Her mother told me that her injuries were to the front part of her head where her personality is stored, so she's not sure if J will be the same when she wakes up or not. Or when she wakes up - as in time relative to date. As in, will J wake up in 2010 or in 2006? sort of thing.

I've been praying hard for her and so have many other people so I guess it's good that I stalk Facebook because I have another tid-bit of news.

A friend of J's (I will call her Gena since there are so many "she's" in this post. Sorry!) wrote that she went to visit J and that J remembered Gena and talked to her! That can only mean that (a) The respirator has been removed [yippee skippee!] and (b) J's memory hasn't been affected very much, if at all.

I cannot tell you how encouraging it was to read that! I do pray that J will make a swift recovery and will be back on her feet in no time. I am planning on going to the hospital again to visit her sometime soon and will update again when I get more information. We don't know how much longer J will be in the hospital (it had already been 10 days last Friday), but hopefully a speedy recovery = going home soon.

Thanks to everyone who has been praying! Keep it up so J can go home soon and get back to a normal life.

Have a blessed week, everyone!

Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment